Lecturer in Finnish Society and Culture, University College London
Dr. Titus Hjelm is the Lecturer in Finnish Society and Culture at University College London. His main areas of expertise are cultural sociology, sociology of religion, social problems, media and popular culture. His research focuses on the role of minority religions in contemporary societies and the media treatment of alternative religion, including Islam in the West.
In addition, he has published on the relationship between popular culture and religion. He edited a volume titled Religion and Social Problems and is currently working on a book on social constructionism. His research has been featured in over 200 interviews in the Finnish news press and in more than twenty radio interviews including the BBC. He has had about fifteen TV appearances in talk shows and as a specialist commentator in prime time news. He has also conducted workshops on religion for Finnish media professionals, social service workers, church employees, and the police.
- A New Article Series: Youth, Civic Engagement and Democratic Processes 308,416 views
- Somalia in Shambles 150,546 views
- Interview with Ali Gomaa, Grand Mufti of Egypt 68,618 views
- Immediate Reactions from Experts on Egypt 61,225 views
- Secrecy is the problem, not leakers 38,882 views