Senior Lecturer at Queen's University
Area of Expertise: Law and Human Rights, Religion, Terrorism, War and Conflict
Geographical Expertise - Region: Europe
Geographical Expertise - Country: Northern Ireland
Field of Work: Academia, Author/Novelist
Peter Shirlow is a Professor at Queen’s University Belfast. He is an expert on political violence in Northern Ireland, who has also studied Iraq, Cyprus, the former Yugoslavia and Palestine/Israel.
He is particularly interested in the use of security walls and the human rights abuses attached to such constructions.
Dr. Shirlow has also been involved in the construction of peace in Northern Ireland and continues that work with regard to the integration of former paramilitary groups. He has an significant knowledge of DDR and wider peace building strategies.
He has written and edited five books on conflict in Northern Ireland and written over 50 additional journal articles.
He has also undertaken an extensive range of interviews with the World Service, Radio 4, BBC 1, BBC2 and ITN. He has also been interviewed for papers such as Le Monde, Washington Post, Daily Telegraph.
- A New Article Series: Youth, Civic Engagement and Democratic Processes 309,160 views
- Somalia in Shambles 150,928 views
- Interview with Ali Gomaa, Grand Mufti of Egypt 69,039 views
- Immediate Reactions from Experts on Egypt 61,667 views
- Secrecy is the problem, not leakers 39,309 views