Area of Expertise: Business and Globalization, Civil Society, Defense and Security, International Relations, Media, War and Conflict
Geographical Expertise - Region: Asia, Europe
Languages: English, French
Field of Work: Author/Novelist, Think tank/Research center
Olivier Guillard is Asia Research Director for the Paris-based thinktank IRIS (Institut de Relations Internationales et Stratégiques). He previously worked for the French Ministry of Defence as a geopolitical expert, with a chief focus on South Asian affairs.
Olivier Guillard is also a partner in a consulting firm (Crisis Consulting www.crisis.fr, since 202) since 2002, and Director of information, in charge with country risk assessments and crisis management in Asia, for several of the largest French firms.
Previously, Olivier Guillard worked for the Ministry of Defence as geopolitical expert for several years, with an expertise mainly dedicated to south Asian affairs.
Dr. Guillard is also lecturer in various educational institutions in France (Saint Cyr Military Academy ; business schools in Bordeaux ; IRIS institute in Paris) and abroad (Notre-Dame University, Beirut, Lebanon).
For IRIS, his main tasks are to monitor what is going on on a political, military and strategic plan in Asia, from Afghanistan in the West to Japan in the East, to write articles and books, to attend seminars and be present in the media (radio, newspapers, TV ; around 150 interviews per year). Guillard has PhD. in International Public Law (University of Paris).
As an author, Olivier GUILLARD as published several books these last few years, among others :
(as co-writer) :
- L’Année Stratégique 2010 (partie Asie) Dalloz, Paris, 2009
- L’Année Stratégique 2009 (partie Asie), Dalloz, Paris, 2008
- L’Année Stratégique 2008 (partie Asie), Dalloz, Paris, 2007
- L’Année Stratégique 2007 (partie Asie), Dalloz, Paris, 2006
As writer :
- Birmanie 2020, De l’état des lieux aux perspectives, Dalloz, Paris, 2009
- 50 petites leçons sur l’Inde, Hachette, Paris, 2009
- Le Pakistan de Musharraf, enfin respectable ?, Lignes de repères, Paris, 2005
- Le Risque Voyage, L’harmattan, Paris, 2005
- Pakistan 2020, L’harmattan, Paris, 2001
- La stratégie de l’Inde pour le XXIeme siècle, Economica, 2000
Latest articles from Olivier Guillard
- A New Article Series: Youth, Civic Engagement and Democratic Processes 289,375 views
- Somalia in Shambles 141,596 views
- Interview with Ali Gomaa, Grand Mufti of Egypt 60,390 views
- Immediate Reactions from Experts on Egypt 53,795 views
- Secrecy is the problem, not leakers 30,623 views